Biotin is a water-soluble Vitamin B that plays a pivotal role in inducing hair growth. It is majorly responsible for producing keratin (protein) in your body that helps form those hair shafts. Those with issues of hair thinning are recommended to ponder on biotin supplements to boost the strength and thickness of the hair strands.
Trichology experts suggest biotin supplements can do wonders for those who actually have a deficiency. Although it takes a few months to see the impact of biotin supplements as it slowly triggers scalp growth and restores a healthier hairline.
With the help of this article, let’s closely learn all the advantages of biotin for health including hair, and its potential health risks.
Benefits of Biotin Supplements
- Biotin is an epitome source of energy that caters to and helps boost the maintenance of overall body function. Just like other vitamins, even biotin is extremely essential for good health. Biotin further helps make the systems of the body healthy for instance, the nervous system, liver, eyes, hair, etc.
- For proper bodily functioning, biotin is highly required to satiate the deficiency of micronutrients as it cannot be produced naturally within our body. Hence, the experts suggest consuming biotin-enriched supplements in the form of tablets.
- Nut butter and Avocados are excellent examples of foods enriched with vitamin E which helps maintain healthy hair. Ensure to ingest adequate amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids by consuming foods including walnuts, fish, and chia seeds. Foods rich in biotin are cooked egg yolk, white mushrooms, oats, spinach cheese, milk, carrots, pork, carrots, tomatoes, apple, chicken, lettuce, and many more.
- Although there are not many pieces of evidence available that indicates biotin prevents hair loss. According to the available report, biotin can be used as a common supplement to improve hair growth and brittle nails.
- With so many available products in the market promising to treat and improve issues of hair loss, not all of them worked. The real results were way too different from the promises claimed. Although, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is yet to establish the recommended dietary allowance for biotin supplements. For those who are adults the age of 19 years and above, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) suggests taking a daily intake of 30 micrograms (mcg) of biotin. Any person with a healthy eating habit can easily obtain this amount of biotin through their diet. However, those suffering from hair loss issues can take biotin supplements consisting of 2 to 5 mg of biotin on regular basis to strengthen hair and achieve optimum results.
- As mentioned above, biotin is a water-soluble vitamin (an excess amount of biotin in the body is excreted through faeces and urine), it is yet not known whether consuming any specific amount of biotin in the form of a supplement is safe.
- Those who prefer consuming multivitamins and multimineral supplements specifically for the nails and hair frequently contains biotin. The FDA strongly recommends patients consult their doctors before taking any supplement to understand its consequences and dosages.
To conclude the impact of Biotin on hair, we surely classify the biotin supplements are a wonder drug that offers healthy hair. However, the efficacy of this supplement does not work similarly for all patients. It may have a different result or no result on a different body. Hence, to understand how it would react on your body, ensure to consult your doctor.
The human body has other sources of obtaining enough biotin from the daily diet. Biotin supplements are only for those who are deficient in them. Biotin can be recommended by doctors to treat some rare medical conditions as well. The efficacy of the supplement also depends on where you have purchased it, as it is essential to buy supplements from only reputable suppliers.
However, we need to accumulate more findings to completely understand all the advantages and health risks of consuming biotin supplements. We strongly recommend the first thing anyone should be doing before incorporating any kind of supplement including biotin into their healthcare regimen is to consult the doctor first.